Hunter x Hunter vs. Yu Yu Hakusho
1. Kuroro and Youko Kurama both were (and are) really skilled thieves (But
Kuroro seems to represent the very essence of being a thief, considering he can
2. Nen is very similar to spirit energy, except that it's much more
complicated. Consider the Yu Yu Hakusho people...Yusuke is most likely
Reinforcement (like Gon...) or Release (his rei gun). Considering what Hisoka
said about the personality of Release people (I think he said they were
"impulsive and rash", which matches Yusuke's personality almost exactly.
Kuwabara, I think, is most likely materialization--as shown by his spirit sword
(rei ken). And by Hisoka, "has vivid imagination, and is very sensitive". I'm
not so sure about the vivid imagination part, but he probably is very
sensitive, especially for his ability to sense where things were (what was that
Kurama and Hiei are probably both manipulation.(Kurama is a plant manipulator
and Hiei uses fire.) However, if we go by Hisoka's personality judging, there
is still some questioning to be done. For Hiei, the manipulation personality of
dominance and obstinance seems to fit him well, but it is unimaginable for that
personality to be representing of Kurama.(Since when did Kurama and Hiei have
similar personalities??-_-;; So since I'm not Hisoka, I can't really judge on
3. They both have four main characters.
4. Killua and Hiei were both ex-assasins.(or is Hiei still an assasin? ^.^;;)
5. Killua and Hiei both had bad pasts--Killua's family put him through harsh
training to be a successful assasin, while Hiei's abandoned him by throwing him
off a cliff.
6. They were both made by Togashi Yoshihiro (no kidding...the easiest thing to
7. Kuroro and Youko Kurama both have this eerie calmness to them.
(Well...Kuroro's more calm...but oh well.)
8. Gensuru (the "Bomb Devil") is very much like Karasu...they both use
bombs...well, I guess Togashi ran out of ideas for new abilities and reused
Karasu's. Obviously Gensuru isn't half as powerful as Karasu is, he's just
9. Feitan and Hiei both use fire -- Feitan's 'Rising Sun'-- and they're both on
the short side. They're both really fast, and Feitan's human too, making it all
the more impressive. However, Feitan seems a lot meaner than Hiei.
To Be Continued
If you have any more to add, email me at email@example.com.
1. The main characters aren't that alike, contrary to popular belief. Gon is
very naive and innocent, and trusts without questioning. In fact, he is so
naive that he isn't realistic at all. Yusuke, on the other hand, is more
imaginable in real life; he has realistic qualities. Gon is also altruistic,
and altruism doesn't seem to really exist (IMHO); Yusuke isn't quite as
2. In Hunter x Hunter, the main character doesn't win all the time. In Yu Yu
Hakusho, however, Yusuke does win quite a lot. For instance, the time that
Yusuke fought Hiei; he won even though he wasn't quite as experienced in
fighting.(ok..., so I admit that Yusuke had more experience than Gon in
fighting, since he was always so belligerent in school. But, does he have
enough experience to kill off someone like Hiei who had survived in a land as
harsh as Makai?)
Contradictorily, Gon didn't win against all of his enemies right away (ex:
3. (Ok..this is in my opinions...so, YYH fans, don't kill me...^_^)Yu Yu
Hakusho's plotline is a lot simpler. The concepts of nen and different things
that are learned while acquiring it are deep, unlike Yu Yu, which is more like
nonstop fighting. Nonstop fighting is just too simple and repetitive, something
you can expect out of any other anime.
4. YYH has more violence; it's more of a fighting manga, while HxH is more
adventurous. --quoted from nafiza of
5. HxH's nen explanations are very logical/scientific based. However, YYH's
battles don't exactly have a scientific basis, more of a fantasial one.
6. While most people in Hunter x Hunter only have one 'special' ability, their hatsu,
(well, except for Hisoka, he has 2), people in Yu Yu Hakusho have a variety of
7. The clown in Yu Yu Hakusho is very weak, unlike Hisoka, who is obviously
very powerful (Not that the two clowns should be compared at all...)
8. Two of the main characters in both Hunter x Hunter and Yu Yu Hakusho are
cliched, namely, Kurapika and Hisoka in HxH, and Hiei and Kuwabara in YYH. Many
people in mangas want revenge, and Kurapika is just a stereotype of them. Many
people in mangas also have Hisoka's eery/creepy personality. Hiei's
cold/meaness makes him cliche...there are so many examples I can think of in
animes with cold people. Kuwabara is the stupid jokester of the group, seen a
lot in other mangas too.
9. The villains in Hunter x Hunter are deeper and more 3 dimensional than the
villains in YYH's Dark Tournament. The villains in Yu Yu Hakusho seem like 2D
undeveloped people. Togashi could've added more to each character, but he
didn't. The Ryodan, however, have a variety of personalities, some nice, some
mean, and some pretentious. In Yu Yu Hakusho villains are mostly mean (not
all..), and are mostly of the same prototype.
10. Yu Yu Hakusho has more female characters. Hunter x Hunter doesn't have that
many, there's only Machi, Shizuku, Neon, Pakunoda, Menchi (ooooh...now that I
start thinking, there is more than I thought). However, HxH doesn't seem to
have many MAIN female characters. To Be Continued